summer day two men and their wives went fishing on a
well-known lake. They had a boat and some of the finest
equipment, and were looking forward to a good catch. They
fished for several hours, but hadn't gotten as much as
one bite, so they decided to pack up and return home. It
intrigued them, however, to see a small boy on the shore
pulling one fish after another.
Curiously, one of the women walked over to the little boy
to find out just how he was catching all those fish. The
little fellow, happy to explain his success, pointed to
an old rotten log.
"There are a lot of worms under that log," he
replied, "and they make good bait, although they
bite your hand a bit when you put them on the hook. Help
yourself; there are plenty of them."
Lifting up the log the woman looked, and there, to her
surprise, she saw not worms, but a nest of dozens of
poisonous baby copperhead snakes!
"Those aren't worms -- they're copperheads!"
she called to the boy. "Let me look at your
The boy's hands were covered with tiny bites, and already
were beginning to swell from the poison. They rushd him
to the doctor, who injected some anti-venom serum, and
the boy's life was saved. The doctor estimated that the
amount of poison from the little bites actually equalled
the bite of a full-grown copperhead. Another hour and it
would have been too late!
This little boy was very innocently handling the snakes,
not realizing that they were poisonous. They were
actually destroying him. He was using them to his own
advantage, so he thought, but they would have caused his